I love slow crock pot cooking. It’s simple, easy, yet the food tastes so good! Last week I made these sweet shredded pork sandwiches for dinner, and my husband loved them!
Shredded meat sandwiches to me have always been the perfect representation of summer. They are portable and great for picnics and family get-together. They are messy enough to intrigue kids. Last but most definitely not the least, they taste even better grilled with barbecue sauce.
As it’s not quite warm enough yet for us to grill, for this sandwich I mixed equal parts chicken stock and apple juice. I threw whole uncooked center cut pork in the crock pot, and forgot about it for most of the day.
An hour before we were ready to eat, I transferred the dish to the stove, pulled the pork apart with a fork (so easy!) and added my fruit chutney to the mix.
After the juices had cooked down, the sandwiches came out tender, juicy and bursting with flavor.
I adore fruit chutney. It’s easy to make, and stores well in mason jars. I use single size jars, and throw one in almost all my recipes. It’s such a great way to get my family to eat more fruit, and it stretches out our meat.
Recently I made a pineapple, papaya, apple infusion chutney that just came out perfect. It’s super sweet, and is great for bland recipes.
Topped off with a vegetable salsa with lettuce stacked inside self baked buns we picked up at the grocery store, this was a beautiful tasty meal I can’t wait to make again.
The vegetable salsa was very easy to make and you can make it the night before. I threw in chopped carrots, red onion, cilantro, red peppers and just a bit of shredded red cabbage and marinated all together with a bit of olive oil and vinegar.
Sweet Shredded Pork Sandwich
Serving Size: 2
3 carrots chopped
1/2 cup red onion chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1/c cup shredded red cabbage
1 red bell pepper chopped in small bits
1/4 cup olive oil and vinegar dressing
1/2 cup canned drained pineapple chunks
2 apples cored peeled and chopped
1 payapa seeded, peeled and chopped
2 cups sodium free chicken broth
1 tsp cinnamon
2 boneless center cut pork chops
1 cup sodium free chicken broth
1 cup apple juice
1. Mix together the first six ingredients and store in an air-tight container overnight to make salsa.
2. Combine the next five ingredients in a medium sauce pan.
3. Bring to a boil and immediately turn the heat to medium low.
4. Simmer uncovered until the broth almost cooks down.
5. Store in an air-tight container.
6. In a crock pot add chicken broth, apple juice and uncooked whole pork chops.
7. Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
8. When almost ready to eat, transfer entire dish to a medium sauce pan.
9. Pull apart pork with fork and add 1 cup fruit chutney.
10. Simmer uncovered for one hour, or until sauce cooks down.
11. Place one serving on a bun.
12. Top with salsa and lettuce.
To make more, double the shredded pork ingredients per two servings extra.